Sunday, February 24, 2008

Biscuits

I made these biscuits a few days ago to go with some soup at lunch time (supper tonight was hot dogs and french fries . . . I was too tired to make anything else). It makes me think that I will have to make some sort of biscuits and gravy sometime for Sunday brunch. I have to admit, though, that as a Canadian such a dish is not really in my repertoire. I imagine a tempeh sausage would be good, with a gravy made from soymilk. Well, more on that later

INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp shortening
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- melted margarine

METHOD
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Put lemon juice in a measuring cup. Add soymilk to the 3/4 cup line. Mix and set aside to thicken.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Mix in shortening with your fingers until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add in soy milk mixture and mix into a dough.
3. Turn out into a floured surface and knead lightly for 30 seconds. Pat to 3/4 inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter or drinking glass to cut into circles.
4. Place on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool slightly and serve.