Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lemon Pound Cake

It sounds odd, but I have been craving pound cake since my trip to Washington D.C. You may remember that I wanted to visit Java Green, but went on Sunday when it was closed. In fact, pretty much all of downtown D.C. is closed on Sunday. So, I had to grab a plain baguette from Au Bon Pain to stave of hunger. At the checkout they had that weird flourescent yellow pound cake that looks like it has never seen a real lemon in its life. In any event, I have been thinking about pound cake ever since.

To satisfy that craving I turned to the recipe from Veganomicon, and I highly recommend it. It is tender and spongy--just like pound cake should be. The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup soy yogurt, which I did not have (the only sell So Nice here which, quite frankly, is So Nasty), and 1/2 cup silken tofu, which I also did not have. So, I used 1 cup regular tofu and blended it really well with 1 tbsp lemon juice. I also added grated rind from 1 lemon to ramp up the flavour and topped it with lemon icing. Perfect!