Friday, July 4, 2008

Strawberries and Cream

I am off to Philadelphia tomorrow for three weeks so I don't have much time to post tonight. I am sad to leave the family behind, but there just is not enough money in my research budget to take everyone along. I will be staying with friends and cooking for myself (and maybe them as well), so I will still be blogging. Philadelphia should have a lot to offer a vegan, so I hope I don't get spoiled. Tonight's post is a decadent dessert, but since fresh strawberries only come around for a few weeks every year, why not treat yourself?

INGREDIENTS
- 1 can coconut milk
- fruit sugar
- vanilla
- fresh strawberries

METHOD
1. Place coconut milk in the fridge for a few hours to let the cream rise to the top. A can of low fat coconut milk will yield about 1/3 cup of cream. If you need more, get a can of high fat coconut milk.
2. Remove can from fridge and open top with a can opener. Scoop out cream into a bowl and discard the watery stuff left behind. For every 1/3 cup (or so) of cream, whisk in a generous tbsp of sugar and a few drops of vanilla. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve over berries.